We had a less than a stellar summer as far as growing vegetables that love hot sunny weather. Collards and beets have done wonderfully, but the tomatoes have managed to mostly grow spectacular green leaves. :) The fruits appear to be ornamental size and a gorgeous green so far. I'm hoping we get some warmer weather and the sun makes an appearance for a week or two to change this. If not -- I'll have resort to the brown paper bag trick.
I was not impressed with the topsy turvey thing-a-ma-jig this year, but in all fairness I don't think the growing season was a good one to judge by. I will give it another go next year. Only a handful of tomatoes of medium size and not even beginning to turn red. I also had a lot of trouble with leaves yellowing which I am going to attribute to the cool, no, make that cold summer.
This plant is over 7 feet tall growing along side the house. It is having a race with the hollyhock next to it -- which appears to be winning at this point. The tomatoes are cleverly hidden deep within the plant. They are decent in size -- a delightful green color.
And finally, the grape tomato plant growing up the fence on numerous stakes and about twenty pieces of twine holding up the 4-5 foot branches. The plant itself taller than the fence which is 6.5 feet tall. There are a gadzillion grape tomatoes on this plant -- all that fabulous green color. If they ripen we'll be up to our eyeballs in grape tomatoes and that is not a bad thing.

1 comment:
Wonderful pics. Your garden looks like a haven....a true haven... LOL!
Post a Comment