
It has taken me a couple of weeks to post the update on our little robin family. It is with a sad heart that I believe only two of them made it. This little guy fledged right into the birdbath and got wet. I think he would have been OK, but the temps the next two nights fell to nearly freezing and no matter how many times I put him in the vines to get him off of the ground he still hopped back down. I'm sure he just got too chilled and with no other nestmates to keep him warm he succumbed to the elements. Papa Robin was feeding him so he did not die of starvation. I knew when I took the bottom photo and could get so close to him that his short time with us was over. I found him the next morning close to this spot and I buried him there. I know that only 25-50% of robin fledglings make it in the big world but gosh it's hard to watch them struggle. The second fledgling I found a few days later and the little one was obviously the victim of a blackbird or blue jay attack. :(

1 comment:
Deb, this pic is so sweet and I'm so glad you were there to care for him when he died.
Really love your garden. :)
Post a Comment